What is the Open Library?
The Open Library is an online platform that offers access to over 1.7 million scanned books. Users can “borrow” these books and download a file that can be opened using Adobe Digital Editions. However, the use of Adobe DRM (digital rights management) on these files means that the books can only be read on the Open Library platform, and cannot be transferred to other devices or platforms. This can be a limitation for some users who may wish to read the borrowed books on other e-readers.
Instructions for Removing Adobe DRM from ePub and PDF eBooks:
- First, download and install Calibre, an e-book management software that supports most e-readers.
- Next, download the latest version of the DRM Removal Tools package. (DEPRECIATED; NEW LINK AT BOTTOM)
- Add the DeDRM_plugin.zip file to Calibre by importing it into the software.
Please note that this guide is intended for users who have already registered, downloaded a book, and installed Adobe Digital Editions.
What should I do if I am unable to remove the DRM using Calibre with the plugin installed?
If you are unable to remove the DRM using Calibre and the plugin, you can try the following steps:
- Remove the DRM-protected books from the Calibre library.
- Restart Calibre.
- Try adding the DRM-protected books back to the library and attempt to remove the DRM again.
- If the issue persists, remove the plugin, check for updates, and reinstall it with the latest version.